Turning bad experiences into fulfilling lives. Turning sadness, grief, and anguish into adaptive new energy. Turning the adversities you are facing today into a New You with a new found perspective and clarity about your personal goals, dreams and ambitions. Finding meaning and regaining our own thoughts.
The ultimate achievement of psychiatry is communication with others. As Sullivan put it so eloquently, psychiatry is the art of interpersonal relations. But psychiatry is also about going slowly, avoiding hurriedness and precipitation. Avoiding the labyrinths of concreteness, thinking slowly, and with effort about everyday’s problems and situations. When we take our time to think slowly about a problem or urgent situation, the pleasure we experience afterwards is equivalent to how we feel at the end of a long workday watching a calm sea.
Psychiatry as a field has undergone astounding changes over the past 30 years, nevertheless lots of challenges remain. The quest for a biological foundation of psychiatric diagnosis has been elusive due to a lack of clinically relevant bio-markers for mental disorders and the development of even more effective treatments.
At Klein-Kraepelin Group, we strive to adapt to these challenges, by using the roles that we have developed in community mental health settings. By focusing more on the person, not as a disease model, but valuing and respecting them, working with people on how to go about learning how to stand on their own two feet, living their lives, and fulfilling their potential. To this end, we collaborate with other mental health practitioners, nutritionists, incorporate other therapeutic activities, such as sports, meditation, and offer individualized medicine in psychiatry with neuropsychological testing.
Klein-Kraepelin Group integrates Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. We are a team of dedicated clinicians striving to understand the bio-psycho-social mechanisms underlying psychiatric disorders and their optimal treatment. Based on existing knowledge in experimental psychology, neuroimaging, neuropsychology, biochemistry, molecular epigenetics, and neuropharmacology, we aim at developing more efficient and personalized pharmaco- and psychotherapies. Personalized therapies will result from a multi-dimensional characterization of the patient and his or her psychiatric condition, including medical, psychological and psychiatric history, personality and genetic background. Effective personalized therapies will then be based on the appropriate regimen of combined pharmaco- and psychotherapies.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Dr. Antoine Adam is an all-around senior psychiatrist and mental health consulting professional with over 21 years of experience. Among his relevant attributes and experiences, Dr. Adam has been advising and working with community mental health clinic directors, hospital administrators, and supervising staff directly. He has a proven track record of psychopharmacology expertise in outpatient community mental health centers, adolescent residential centers, emergency and inpatient settings, and clinics exclusively devoted to the needs of children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Dr. Adam has an in-depth knowledge of CBT, psychoanalysis, and humanistic approaches, and is able to switch gear in order to suit the patient’s’ needs. His psychiatric practice has always been a mix of adults, adolescents and children.
- Education: Fellowship, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Arizona College of Medicine
- General Psychiatry, New York Medical College -Saint Vincent Medical Center
- MD, Doctor of Medicine, Universidad Central Del Este Facultad de Medicina(UCE)
- M.S., Management & Operations Research, New York University Tandon School of Engineering(Ex-Brooklyn Polytech)
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, New York University Tandon School of Engineering(Ex-Brooklyn Polytech)
licensure, certifications and professional associations
- New York State Medical License
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Training verified by General Psychiatry Residency Review Committee (RRC) )
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Certification, European Psychiatric Association
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) Certification, European Psychiatric Association
- Metacognitive Therapy (MCT) Certification, European Psychiatric Association
- Cognitive Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy(CBASP), European Psychiatric Association
- American Psychiatric Association (APA) (General Member)
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) (General Member)
- European Psychiatric Association (EPA) (General Member)
AWARDS, HONORS, & RECOGNITIOn
- Patients’ Choice Award (2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020)
- North Central Bronx Hospital Shining Star Award (Press Ganey Award, 2020)
- Top 10 Doctor State & Metro-Area (2014)
- On-time Doctor Award (2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020)
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020)
- Cultural Competence Recognition, Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Graduate Medical Education Committee Member, University of Arizona College of Medicine (2008)
Publications & Presentations
- “Psychosis and Schizophrenia in Childhood and Adolescence: New Insights and Guidelines” (2010)
- The incidence of awareness during anesthesia: a multi-center United States study.
- Sebel PS Bowdle TA Ghoneim MM Rampil IJ Padilla RE Gan TJ Domino KB; Anesth Analg. 2004 Sep .548 citations
Other Languages Spoken